Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

I have been a big fan of your services for a long time and have used each of you off and on. Google right now you have my business and that ad revenue you currently get from me using your search may be in jeopardy.

The first one of you to ban (yes, ban!) people like Experts-exchange or SqlServerCentral from all searches where I am looking for a tech answer will get my business... Seriously, they are a bane to your business as they pollute the search results.

Whenever I click on a link that implies that there is an answer waiting for me and I find a page describing what could be my problem and then an invitation to join or sign up for a trial, absolutely ticks me off! These folks are a blight IMO...

[Maybe I should create a little SL2 app with Live Search and auto remove these sites from the results... Seriously it ticks me off...]

You have been forewarned. I will move on to the next decent search engine that eliminates crap like this when I need an IT/Dev answer (because I don’t want to join and be spammed or to pay to get info).

Signed your friend,

Jay

Print | posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:48 AM

Feedback

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Cory Foy at 10/21/2008 12:07 PM Gravatar
You can always scroll to the very bottom of EE when you click on it from a Google link to see the answers. You have to scroll past the sign-up crud. I don't mind it for that.

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Tim at 10/21/2008 12:40 PM Gravatar
I start every google search with:
-site:*.experts-exchange.com

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Rob at 10/21/2008 6:03 PM Gravatar
You aren't the only one pissed off. EE may be one of the most hated tech sites out there right now.

The web is full of utilities to strip them out of queries or query results.

The bigger problem is that they are practicing a form of cloaking. That is to say, they present anonymous users with one set of content, and anonymous spiders (from search engines) with the full content in order to get high rankings.

The rankings for the top search providers (most particularly Google) are determined by this fuzzy Quality Score, which is in part determined by a series of do's and don'ts guidelines. Google expressly forbids cloaking, but apparently hasn't caught EE at it yet. Either that or EE is paying Google considerable cash, in which case, I wouldn't hold my breath for Google to eliminate them from results :-)

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by David at 10/21/2008 9:46 PM Gravatar
Hi Jay,

Have you tried creating a Google Custom Search Engine?

Just exclude the sites you don't like :)

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Peter van Ooijen at 10/22/2008 3:46 AM Gravatar
When you click "in cache" on an EE result you'll often see the cached result of a subscriber, containing the "answer". Not that they are that much better than any of the other blabla..

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by D. Ebdrup at 10/22/2008 10:55 AM Gravatar
I believe Googles extention for Firefox allows you to filter sites by wildcards which will make them greyed out at least. Other than that, -site:<any site you don't like, comma seperated> is the only way to do it - possibly with the use of Google Custom Search Engine.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree that something should be done though I don't believe in censoring in any way.

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Jimmy Bogard at 10/22/2008 11:39 AM Gravatar
I still remember that fateful day when Google Cache stopped working on the answers. *sigh*

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Matt Lacey at 10/22/2008 2:15 PM Gravatar
Use http://stackoverflow.com/
rather than the sex change site

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Kyle Baley at 10/22/2008 9:53 PM Gravatar
I made a half-hearted search one day for a Firefox extension that would automatically remove it from the results but came up empty. I have alleviated it somewhat by using the Weby plugin Launchy for all my Google searches. Just modify the existing one they give you to exclude experts-exchange. It's not ideal but has helped somewhat.

# re: Dear Google/Live Search/Yahoo Search/And anyone else

left by Jim at 10/28/2008 9:04 AM Gravatar
I used a custom style sheet that strips all their crap out (EE) and I never have to worry about their lame attempt to block people from viewing the answers.
Title
Name
Email (never displayed)
Url
Comments
Please add 8 and 4 and type the answer here: