Car accidents can become a major blockade in your regular life, especially if you end up with prominent injuries. Over the past few years, people in Snellville have seen their fair share of car accidents. Due to the increase in population, these numbers have grown because there is always a risk of getting in an accident even if you are abiding by the traffic rule book.
Being in a car accident where you contract injuries can result in pain varying in intensity that depends on the severity of your accident. The first and foremost step you can take to address this situation is visiting a doctor. Your accident doctor will prescribe testing and medication as required, along with some appropriate changes in your diet.
Need for a Healthy Diet After an Accident
Having a healthy diet to recover from an accident holds utmost importance and significance in the recovery process.
- Minimize Recovery Time
- Recovering from injuries that restrain you from performing everyday tasks easily can be quite a hassle. This gets even worse if you have underlying health conditions such as diabetes. This prolonged recovery time is one of the key reasons people get frustrated and really moody after an accident. A healthy diet with lots of beneficial nutrients helps you recover quicker and get back to your normal lifestyle much faster. However, you still need to take an adequate amount of rest according to the doctor’s recommendations.
- Keep You Energetic
- An accident can drain all your physical and mental stamina. Most people even go into trauma or shock, which suppresses their hunger to a considerable extent. Having planned meals 3 to 5 times a day with all the relevant nutrients helps you stay energetic and active throughout the day. For example, if you have sessions with a car accident chiropractor in Snellville, then you must have the energy to perform the session without interruptions.
- Stay Within Calorie Count
- Suffering from injuries after an accident can lead to just one thing: BED REST. Being in bed all day with minimum physical activity means that there are tendencies to gain weight, especially if you are going over your daily caloric intake. Having balanced and healthy meals mean that you are going to stay within the required calorie count. This will help you manage weight and come out looking fitter and healthier.
- Streamline with Tests
- There are plenty of tests like blood and urine to assess the overall condition of an accident victim – especially the ones with internal injuries. With a well-balanced diet, you can easily increase the nutritional content that can help you get positive results in tests. For instance, an individual with blood loss might have a low hemoglobin count that can be increased by drinking fresh apple juice regularly.
Healthy Food Choices After a Car Accident
The following list features the best food types that can become your best friend throughout the recovery process.
Protein is the most important nutrient that your body needs for the reinforcement of muscle tissues. Being in an accident with injuries means you are losing mass, but incorporating the right amount of protein can easily build the lost muscles without any adverse side effects. Healthy protein sources include choosing from different options like beef, chicken, fish, and mutton. You also have non-meat variants to obtain protein, such as beans, nuts, and tofu. According to the Dietary Reference Intake Report, the ideal protein intake for a person is 0.8 times per kilogram of their ideal body weight. So, if your body weight is 65 kilograms, you need to consume 52 grams of healthy protein every day. Furthermore, the recommended intake for nuts is 1 oz. per day, so you definitely need something else to be a part of your protein plan.
Vitamin C from Fruits and Vegetables
Accidents will cause inflammation to your muscles and organs. This can cause tenderness, swelling, and even loss of function. Adding fruits and vegetables with high vitamin C content will help you prevent inflammation. Vitamin C is rich in collagen that gradually improves the muscles and tendons and your body’s integrity to maintain bone structure. For vegetables, you can include broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, and tomatoes in your diet. Citrus fruits like oranges, lime, grapefruit, along with kiwis and strawberries, are a phenomenal source of vitamin C.
Orthopedics recommend immobilizing the injured areas of your body after an accident to promote better healing. With no activity and consuming your regular amount of calories, it can lead to weight gain. Since you cannot exercise, getting an ample supply of fiber from natural foods will help keep you full without overindulging in food while suppressing unwanted food cravings. Besides helping you fill up much faster, they keep the color clean. They do not restrict bowel movement, making your days energetic and healthy. Although fiber-based foods are good for your overall health, they certainly should not be all you eat because your body still needs many other ingredients to thrive.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
As discussed above, your body may suffer from inflammation that disrupts the overall functionality of your body. Omega-3 fatty acids work side by side with citrus to help you get rid of this problem once and for all. Fish, which is already an ideal protein choice, is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Eating fresh fish can improve your health within a very short time. While omega-3 is an amazing nutrient, consuming too much may cause gastronomical issues, bad breath, and heartburn. This is why health experts recommend using natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids instead of supplements and powders. Furthermore, if you have any present health conditions like diabetes or cardiac problems, it is mandatory to consult a nutritionist before consumption.
Whiplash is a very common injury that can happen even in the most minor accidents. While taking whiplash treatment in Snellville, your body needs a reasonable amount of zinc to heal faster. Nutritionists recommend opting for natural sources of zinc such as fish, whole grains, and nuts instead of supplements that may lead to copper deficiency. Other than this, it is highly recommended to consult your doctor in charge before taking any form of zinc supplements.
You might have broken bones or a complex fracture in an accident. Fractures are one of the most prolonged injuries in an accident, leading to long-lasting side effects if not treated properly. You need vitamin D and calcium to supply your bones with nutrient-absorbing minerals and prevent pain. Almonds, broccoli, along different dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt are great sources of calcium. Other than this, there are supplements to instantly boost vitamin D and calcium in your body.
Car accidents are an unwanted but real possibility if you go out on the roads. While some accidents are minor, there are cases that may lead to multiple injuries. To get over an accident, consuming a healthy diet full of nutrition and a combination of vitamins and minerals is mandatory. Protein, fiber, zinc, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin C are mandatory food choices for faster recovery and better health. Additionally, you can manage your weight and stay active despite being on bed rest by making healthy food choices.